Thursday, April 14, 2011

Overall Thoughts on Book

Overall, this book had a great impact on me. I felt as though it opened up my eyes to see the horrors of slavery for what they really were: horrors. Linda’s plight is not unlike many of theirs, and I feel it is extremely important to remember this time and remember these people. Linda’s story was not over with the end of this book; however her story was just beginning. She was still “owned,” but she could now work towards her dream. I feel as though this was a huge step for her. The reader leaves praying that Linda will someday realize her dream but knowing that part of her ordeal is over. She spent a lifetime running from men, but she also spent a lifetime trusting in God. I think that is what counts the most. Through it all, she never cursed God. I liken Linda to Job; she had every reason to be angry and bitter at the hands of her captors, but she remained consistently trusting in God. She comments on how she had “hard feelings” towards Dr. Flint, but she still puts God above it all. I think what struck me the most about this book was her unwavering faith and the faith of her grandmother. This book made me reconsider the plight of slaves; but more importantly, it reaffirmed my faith and compelled me to keep pushing forward even if all seems lost.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you Bethany. I think that probably the most impacting thing I received from this book was Linda's unshakable faith. I feel as though I have seen this before though. I don't want to generalize that all African Americans of that era were Christians, but a great many had faith that I was astounded by. I've seen how they were treated, the cruelty that was administered to them and I am shocked that they could still praise the Lord. I think about how so many of us complain about our circumstances today and am quickly put back in check. Our circumstances today are nothing like the circumstances that Linda encountered or many other slaves encountered for that matter. We have so much to be thankful for!

    ReplyDelete