Thursday, April 14, 2011

God's Faithfulness.

The joy that I felt soon diminished as I read the following chapter on the Fugitive Slave Law. As I read, I felt all of Linda’s hard work going down the drain, and I was scared for her. Then, while I was reading her escape letter, I felt that same feeling of hope that I had before. Linda was still optimistic even though she was not sure if she would see her children again. This was awesome to me, but I felt like I would feel so let down and scared. I would feel like the world had given up on me. Linda still faced this situation with the thought that “God will work all things out because we have been faithful.” What a statement to me. I feel as though she should have been angry and bitter, but she was not. I want to strive to have faith like Linda’s. I want to strive to have faith that, no matter what the circumstances, God will be faithful if I am faithful. And God was truly faithful to Linda, for in the end, her freedom was bought, and she was finally able to rest her head and know that she would never have to run again.

2 comments:

  1. Bethany, this is a beautiful blog! What a mighty and faithful God we serve. I am so glad that we have the opportunity to put our trust in Him, knowing that he will always keep His promises.

    I think Linda had her grandmother to thank for her immense courage to trust in God to literally free her from bondage. Without her grandmother's values and morals instilled in her, I don't think Linda would've had much hoep at all for her life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I echo everything that you both said, Bethany and Emily! It's so true!
    I think another aspect of what gave the slaves hope was singing. Tons of spirituals came out of this era and are still being sung today. I think songs like, Peace Like A River, encouraged people to keep going. These songs encouraged people to keep looking up and away to Jesus.



    I’ve got peace like a river in my soul
    I’ve got a river in my soul

    I’ve got joy like a fountain in my soul
    I’ve got a fountain in my soul

    ReplyDelete